1800 242 588

Call for a free Case Evaluation

What is a WorkCover Claim?

A WorkCover Claim is when an injured worker claims financial compensation under the WorkCover scheme relating to an injury that they’ve suffered whilst they were at work.

Employers have a compulsory duty to register for WorkCover Insurance to protect themselves against potential compensation claims for work-related injuries and diseases. 

WorkSafe Victoria is responsible for administering Victoria’s workers’ compensation legislation under the no-fault WorkCover Scheme, which entitles injured workers to compensation regardless of who is responsible for the injury or illness.

Support and entitlements provided under the WorkCover Scheme

Compensation is available to injured workers in several forms, including;

  1. Weekly Payments are paid to injured workers if they cannot work, have their work hours reduced, or otherwise lose income because of their injury.
  2. Medical and Treatment Expenses are expenses paid for medication, medical treatment, rehabilitation, physiotherapy, travel, and other medical-related assistance.
  3. Provisional Payments can be paid to Workers with a mental injury. They can access early provisional payments for up to 13 weeks while they wait for the outcome of their claim, regardless of whether the claim gets rejected. 
  4. An Impairment Benefits a lump-sum compensation payment if a worker has suffered permanent impairment. Examples of permanent impairment can include:
    1. reduced joint movement
    2. a nerve injury
    3. Amputations
    4. Hearing loss
    5. Scarring
    6. Psychological injury
  5. Superannuation. A contribution payment to your superannuation on top of your weekly payment if your pre-injury employer has no legal obligation to continue superannuation payments after 52 weeks after your injury. 
  6. Work-related Death Entitlements. In the unfortunate circumstance where a worker dies as a result of a workplace injury, their dependents are entitled to compensation benefits which can include:
    1. Lump-sum payment
    2. Periodic pension
    3. Funeral expenses and family counselling services

Claim for Damages. A claim made when you can show that fault or “negligence” on the part of your employer or some other person has caused your injury; however, you must show you have suffered a “serious injury” to be able to claim damages.

Who can claim WorkCover entitlements?

Regardless of whether you’re a full-time/part-time worker, casual Worker, apprentice, contractor, or your employer is not registered for WorkCover Insurance, claims can be made for compensation for your workplace injury.

Common workplace injuries include:

  • Construction site accidents
  • Lifting injuries
  • Slip and fall injuries 
  • Malfunctioning machinery injuries
  • Chemical Exposure injuries
  • Hearing loss
  • Repetitive Strain Injuries (RSI)
  • Mental health and stress injuries
Continue reading next...

Tell us about your injury

Reach out to one of our Personal Injury Lawyers and they will respond to you as soon as possible.

"*" indicates required fields